Labels

Monday 25 May 2020

Red Penance



Under the shade of that proliferous maple tree we named
I'd given you a piece of my naive heart
When I handed over a fragment of that red ribbon
I still remember how you'd smiled reluctantly

In shades of twilight wavering from mauve to scarlet
You had returned that piece of me when you left
Imprudent to believe in the eternity of young love
I'd vowed to reparate my life to obliviate my scars

Discarded that wretched fragment of red ribbon 
I had embarked a journey on a turn to another road
The miserable ribbon unaware of my reverberating battles
Remained desolate on that spot- my incompetent sword

A whiplash of raging storm washed it down the cliff
As I kept descending into your miserable memories
The fervent stream rolled it forth with the pebbles
As I tossed my desires beneath the pattering raindrops

It crashed against unrelenting waves and surged carelessly
While I wished my fears would escape like an Albatross
On a frozen blue midnight it swept along a canopy to the shore
While the frozen chunks of my innocence gasped under snow

When Autumn bade farewell, it swooshed along with broken twigs
As my visions of you began to dissolve into old debts across time
When it slept beneath the cushions of dried leaves in summer
My fears evanesced in my pleas of mercy for atonement of new journeys

It disappeared in the follies of my young years embraced by time
And I rose into the skies with the strength of my scars
Soothing whispers and wailing sobs found an abode together
My exile demanded a resurrection of my past to attain salvation

Last year I heard a hurricane had uprooted our dear maple tree
I retreated the half mile I'd traversed half a decade ago with you 
Unshackled to your anchor, my ship sailed smoothly till our spot
A fragment of a faded red ribbon fell next to a rising maple sapling

Enchanted by the divine coincidence manifested from my journey
I buried it with a soothing effervescence releasing you at last
The sapling of my red penance revived me with hope and bliss
I only remember the red memories now, not how the moments made me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an imprint of your thoughts as a response. It will be a pleasure to read from you. :)