Labels

Wednesday 5 August 2020

Preserved Melody



On a smoky grey October dusk
ensnared by a timeless musk
my heart met those dulcet tides
mellows engulfing it in strides.

A frivolous soul I'd always been
a quarter of this world I'd seen
yet the universe felt strikingly adrift
my spirits looking for a stellar shift.

I stumbled upon an obsolete alley
the rhythms of an enchanted valley,
a vintage soul born in this world
my dreams in ancient pages curled.

Wavering anxieties in shivering breeze
a pair of eyes, my hands did freeze,
you found me, pondering over 'Hello'
a stranger on a bridge of humming cello.

"Bel Air" draping my notes these years
burning heart whispered trembling fears,
enticing glances through my soul anew
my dreams crystallized to pearly dew.

From "Hot summer nights" to "mid July"
tenderness and strength together did fly,
you strummed the chords of my chime
wandering in years emerging with time.

Bare dreams sliding out of a cage
your touch simmered stars on my stage.
"Electric soul" on "diamonds of the Sun"
heavenly velvet caressing me like none.

So I sprinkled a preserved old charm
I'd kept it for someone like you so warm,
I sang a scarlet song on a golden fern
you've calmed the storms of my silent yearn.

With a love so soft and strong as ours
I'd write ballads for you in lonely hours,
all I know in times that ever grow blue
my love remains "Young and Beautiful" for you.


I have been influenced by many artists and outgrown those influences in poetry over these years. A few remain close to my heart till now. I enjoy singing the songs by Adele, London Grammar, Agnes Obel and Lana Del Rey whenever I feel like. This is a tribute to one of the few songs that has remained with me since the October evening when I had first heard it. 'Young and Beautiful' was the song that introduced me to the extremely artistic contemporary poetess and singer 'Lana Del Rey'. Immediately making way to my heart, it made me realize that vintage touch to music and poetry is still nurtured by a few artists. Needless to say, her songs with deep metaphors and classic references have been my solace to travel to other frequencies. This particular song has been special because I'd preserved it for someone who'd melt my heart. This is also the song I've sung the maximum number of times when asked to perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an imprint of your thoughts as a response. It will be a pleasure to read from you. :)